Vegas 2012

Vegas 2012
Standing in The Paris. My favorite hotel!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sorry it's a couple of days late....

This week was really great! (Other than the fact that I was sick.) It was fun to listen to Karen talk about how the kids missed me, and how much they enjoy having me in their classroom. It makes me feel really good inside.
            I think that the highlight from this week was sitting down with Karen (CT) and Debby (ST). It was awesome being able to finally talk about what it is that I am going to be doing for my work sample… Looks like I’ll be teaching scientific inquiry. Kind of scary, seeing how it is that science is not my first topic of choice, nor my favorite. But Karen made it seem like it was going to be really great for me, and I felt really supported by her and that meant a lot to me. I am looking forward to going over some of her past material and getting an idea of what it is that she has in mind for me. I have felt really included in her classroom, and I am enjoying my time with her. I was a little nervous going back in to the classroom, after having been gone for so long. I wasn’t sure how I was going to be received by the kids, but it was like I had been there all week, nothing had changed.
            Something I really like at McKinney is that the teachers have a 20-minute time slot where they re-teach content. Karen used her re-teach time this week to continue to hammer in fractions. For the re-teach time it is very hands on learning. Student’s use manipulative’s to understand and to grasp the concept of fractions. Karen said that anytime I can make something (a concept) hands on, I should. This allows also for different types of learning styles. Re-teach time also allows Karen to address places where kids are confused, struggling the most, even allow time to get certain projects finished up. It’s just a great use of 20 minutes.
            Another highlight, next Thursday is back to school night. I’m excited and nervous. I have only had to deal with parents in dance class settings, so I’m interested to be able to watch Karen interact with parents. Especially interact with the parents of some of our students, since we are a title 1 school, there is very little parent involvement within our classroom. Last year, there were 6 sets of parents for back to school night. It’s just such a sad and difficult situation to deal with. I think that part of it might have to do with the fact that so many of our students speak English as their second language – this creates a huge barrier between parents and teachers.
  



As for Daniel and I, we are still anxiously awaiting to here from dental schools. It is such a stressful process, but I know that all in good time, things will happen for us. I continue to enjoy my program at George Fox, especially the people in the program, I am so thankful for my fellow classmates, without them I think my life would be so much more stressful. 
The rest of this week, I have taken in strides. I am looking forward to the week coming to an end. It was really fun to be able to work out my CT, Karen. Who knew we would become such great friends. I have also had many adventures, getting to go to the Air and Space museum with my GFU math class was pretty entertaining. Having dinner with my mom was (and always is) inspiring. I am truly blessed to have such a great mother. 
I'm really looking forward to this weekend, my cousin and her husband are coming in to town from Utah to stay for a quite a bit, and I am very excited to see her. I am also looking forward to possibly going camping Friday night? Who knows. Lastly, tomorrow night is back to school night, and I am really looking forward to that as well. It's going to be a really great experience. Also, hopefully this weekend I will be able to catch up on my fall shows... I am already a week or so behind, and it's a little sad. 
Next week... well who knows. As the weeks continue my social life dwindles and diminishes, which is sad, but I know that in the long run all of this hard work will be a truly rewarding pay off. Now, just to make it through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment