Vegas 2012

Vegas 2012
Standing in The Paris. My favorite hotel!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Almost Thanksgiving....!!!

This week has been good. I’m so glad that I am moving full time in to the classroom, and that I don’t have classes anymore. (I know that sounds terrible… But I am so burnt, and I am ready for the break!)
            Karen just started a new book that she is reading out loud to the class. I have never read the book myself, but it is apparently one of her favorites. Maybe I am just used to listing to early elementary read alouds, but I am not sure that I would have picked this book to read aloud to a class. The book is based on the true story of Gary Paulsen’s life, and it talks about his alcoholic parents, dirty pictures etc. Kind of a “racy” story (I think) to be reading to 6th graders, but Karen has read the book to her 6th grade class before, and she knows them better than I.
            We have 2 students in our class that have been absent for more than a week. (Not consecutively, I just mean in amount of days.) Karen is really upset that their parents are allowing for them to skip so much school. I wonder why she hasn’t called home to ask if everything is okay, maybe she can’t? I know she has both of their parents phone numbers. Her concern is the amount of education that these 2 students are missing out on, while being at home. I agree, especially when one of the students has missed a total of 11 days so far within the school year, and it’s only November.
            I discovered this week that one of my students is currently living with her aunt and uncle not necessarily by choice. Apparently her mother has a mental disability, and her father gave up custody of her and her brother to his sister. Currently her aunt is trying to adopt her. It really explained a lot to me as to why she is so quiet, talks a lot about missing Hawaii etc. I worry about her, she is such a smart and kind person, and I hope that she will continue to make smart choices. I can’t imagine what it must be like to have parents who are unwilling/unable to take care of you. Karen tells her everyday that she is important, and that if she could clone her and take her home she would.
            This week I ran anther reading group, I think that this time went MUCH better than the first time. I did reading charts again, hopefully spending more time will allow me to get into more of a rhythm with reading charts. Friday, I got to spend in Mr. Bayer’s classroom (another 6th grade teacher) for about 10 minutes while stepped out of the classroom to conference with a student. That was exciting – I felt pretty grown up. Karen and I decided to keep my being there on Monday a secret. I’m excited to surprise the kids.
            I’m really excited to start teaching. My bulletin board/vocab. wall is up and it looks amazing! I hope that these next 10 lessons go well, that I learn and grow a lot, and that I am able to accomplish tons. I still have 2 students that have not yet taken the pre-assessment. I am going to (hopefully if they are there) make sure they get those done Monday morning. I have completed all of my lesson plans, Karen looked over them and is really excited for the next 10 days. She has been, as always, such a great help. I feel that I am truly blessed in 

No comments:

Post a Comment